Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bittersweet


What a fabulous week/weekend! This has been our “dead” week before finals are in full force.  Each day I have studied, but made sure I did it glamorously! Sunday and Tuesday I went to the beach.  Monday, I went to Wood Stock Exchange.  Wednesday, I went to a little coffee shop tucked away in a residential area.  Thursday, I stayed close to home and spent the afternoon with my WahWah friends.  Friday, I went on a cleaning spree and our bedroom is now spotless! 

It has been so great to just hang out and focus on school/get random things done! Friday afternoon, Haley and I went into Cape Town for lunch then took a cab to a spa in Hout Bay.  We were pampered for the afternoon and then I came back for a quick shower and change of clothes before I went with my friend Caroline and her Mom to the “Test Kitchen,” one of the best restaurants in Cape Town.  We dined like queens celebrating her 21st birthday, round 2! I can not say enough great things about dinner.  It was phenomenal and I am such a fan of the experience.  We had a wine pairing with all five courses and it is beyond me how they can perfectly match each dish with a delicious wine so perfectly.  It is definitely an art! After diner, we went back to Caroline’s and then went out to Long Street with all of my friends to ring in Tito’s birthday.  Couldn’t have asked for a better day.  

This morning we were up and at em’ bright and early.  We left for OBM around 9 a.m. While we were there we met a whole new crew of Americans who are here for a summer program.  It was fun to be able to be the tour guide and tell them all the must dos.  This afternoon we turned our heater on for the first time and cuddled up in our cozy clothes to study.  For dinner, we went to sushi to celebrate friendship.  Suz, is leaving us on Monday and we are trying to make the most of the time left.  

While at dinner we reminisced on our time here.  We discussed our flight over and our fears before we came, our first impressions of each other, how we have changed, what life is going to be like going home, our reunions in Miami/Costa Rico, Thanksgiving in Boston, Christmas in Texas, our animal personalities...and much, much more.  We laughed and we cried.

Today, I have thought a lot about my time here.  Meeting the girls today at OBM and having to list all of my favorite things and trying to imagine how they are ever going to fit everything into the 4 weeks they have left is just crazy.  I am so so so thankful that I have been able to LIVE in Cape Town.  It has been such an awesome experience.  Before I left I remember everyone telling me how much this experience would change me and how great it was going to be.  I never could wrap my mind around the idea of “change.” I thought I was at a pretty good place in life and was quite complacent. 

I now fully understand what everyone was talking about.  Since I’ve been here I have been filled with joy, often giddy, homesick, lonely but surrounded by tons of people, frustrated to the point of tears, scared to death, miserably full, humbled, loved, and in pure amazement of God’s creation. I am leaving having learned a new language, three musical instruments, tutored high schoolers each week, hiked three peaks, been to 2 other countries, all three major South African cities, swam in 2 oceans, been to the bottom most part of Africa, and with 40+ new friends. 

The people here with me will always hold a special place in my heart, because they are the ones who truly understand.  They too, have had this special experience and no matter where we are in ten years I feel confident we will be able to catch up, grab a flat white or a glass of wine and chat about our precious memories here. 

I can not say enough that Cape Town has been one of the best experiences of my life.  It has made me realize how blessed I am to have June, Ang and Lane and all my friends at home and TCU. I am so thankful for my professors and fellow Horned Frogs. As much as I can not wait to get back home, it makes me sick to think about actually leaving here.  Exactly two weeks from today I will say goodbye most everyone and in 21 days I will be boarding a red eye to London to begin the next chapter of life.  The amount of both excitement and sadness is ridiculous.    


So this is the infamous "Tiger Tiger" ... A club located in a shopping mall. 
Keep it classy Claremont. 


Boggie Down. 


Joburg VIPs


Love them all! 


The bunny and the cheetah


So much love. 


Haters gona hate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment